Mohammed Ali, is perhaps the greatest heavyweight boxer the world has ever known. He died late Friday night at 74 years old.
“Mohammed Ali was also a global celebrity who wasn’t afraid to speak his mind, at a time when black men who spoke their minds often paid dearly. His gleeful boasting about his abilities made him tremendously fun to watch on camera. But his unapologetic, outspoken politics made him a figure of tremendous significance.”
I would love to share with you; 11 inspiring quotes about self-belief by the boxing legend.
1. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see. Now you see me, now you don’t. George thinks he will, but I know he won’t.”
2. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”
3. “Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”
4. “If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”
5. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
6. “I’ve made my share of mistakes along the way, but if I have changed even one life for the better, I haven’t lived in vain.”
7. “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.”
8. “Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes , lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don’t let yourself believe it will happen to you.”
9. ” Life is short; we get old so fast. It doesn’t make sense to waste time on hating.”
10. “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses – behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”
11. “What I suffered physically was worth what I’ve accomplished in life. A man who is not courageous enough to take risks will never accomplish anything in life.”